Thursday, June 13, 2013

Two Weeks Notice


Two weeks from today, I leave on one of the most anticipated trips of my life.  With a 30L pack on my back I will be flying solo over to Europe to backpack the continent plus some. Many have asked if I will be documenting my travels, so, in addition to a journal, I will be blogging periodically to update whomever wants to read. 

I guess I’ll start with where the idea all began. In July 2011, I ventured over to the land down under to study abroad in Wollongong, Australia for six months. Living and being on the other side of the world truly changes your perspective on life.  I met people I never dreamed of meeting, partook in activities that only seemed possible in films, and left with more knowledge about that part of the globe than any classroom could ever teach me.  I spent my entire life savings up to that point on discovering the outback, scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef, and drinking with friends at one of the most famous horse races in the world.   I was also fortunate enough to veer off into Indonesia and New Zealand to see more of the different cultures that make up our world.

Upon return, I contracted something no doctor could cure. This travel bug was imbedded in my system, and I knew I had to continue to explore more.
Immediately, I picked up as many shifts as I could at work, my style switched to sports bras and under armor, and my new form of weekend entertainment was watching movies at home with my cat. Traveling was the only thought I had in mind, and college graduation was the only thing standing in my way.

I talked about it for months and I gathered that no one really thought I was serious. 

“You’re going alone?”
“Have you seen Taken?”
“What about a job?”
“When are you coming back?”

Were all common questions.  Well please…bore someone else with your questions (Devil Wears Prada anyone.) Yes, I will be doing a majority of the trip alone. I have seen Taken. I have my whole life to get a job and slave my life away. I come back when the money runs out, and then I save up again and possibly start traveling again.

I finally bought my one-way ticket to fly into my starting point (Iceland) back in January.  However, it still didn’t seem real. 

So why am I writing this initial blog post now?  I haven’t left yet, and I have been stuck in my home state of Michigan since graduating from UNCW May 11th.  Perhaps because now, I truly feel this whole endeavor is finally coming together.  All my belongings are sold, I have the beginnings of my route planned, and I just purchased a 3 month unlimited rail pass for Europe.  Despite societies disproval, watching my newly graduated friends land jobs, and the possibility of danger, this trip is happening.

So lastly, before I start this journey I want to express why I am doing this.  I don’t have a return ticket, I don’t have an unlimited bank account, and I know the dangers of traveling as a woman alone in some areas of the world.   

First, the way we live life.  The materialistic culture of our generation, the view that more is better…I hate it.  Admittingly, I am a complete offender – I utilize my iPhone, MacBook, and shoes just as much as the next person.  However, there is more to life than what we own.  Last week I sold my 2007 Mustang and to say that I was in love with it is an understatement.  However, it was a luxury - Not a necessity. The selling of all my belongings has been relieving.  There is less clutter to worry about and more money for experiences with people and places, the things that truly matter in life.  When you are on your deathbed, will you think about your possessions or the life and legacy you lived? I think the latter is true for anyone.

Secondly, I stressed myself out during the never-ending six-year college streak. I constantly overloaded my semesters with classes I didn’t even need and worked every single Friday, Saturday, and Sunday waiting tables.   In many countries it is normal for students to take gap years between high school and college and take a break.  Americans dive straight into it, then upon college graduation we immediately strive for that perfect full time job. When will we stop working? We have our whole lives to work and not enough time to enjoy the greatest gift we are given – life.

Going off my second point. When other time could possibly be best to do this?  We have all heard it. “I want to be married by 25, and have 2 kids and a fenced in yard by 27.”  Nope. Wrong. Not for me. Right now the only “child” I have is a black demon kitty.  Once you are married and have children it becomes harder and more difficult to do the things you may want to accomplish in life.  I am not saying these are bad things, they are just not for me right now, and before I give that way of life the chance to happen, I need to see what the world has to offer.  

People keep telling me “Oh you’re so lucky,” or “I’m so jealous.”  I believe that this is something anyone can do with the right desires and dedication.  As it comes down to the final weeks before departure I feel that I have prepared as much as I can, however, I know that it is not enough.  Some challenges or plans I will just have to figure out on the way.  I’m already predicting getting off the plane during the early hours of June 28th, and thinking “What the hell am I doing?” But that is the adventure in the game, and I’m ready to play.

6 comments:

  1. Will be readin bout ur adventures miss natasha!!! How's desiree w all this? How bout pops he's not flippin his bsby is one waying it!? Soooo excited for u ...do you girl lifes short!! Godspeed. Xomuch love goes with you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents aren't thrilled. But they are adjusting to the idea. Thanks for the support Bridge!

      Delete
  2. I don't know how much of society "disapproves" of what you are about to do, but of course, that shouldn't really matter, and I'm sure it doesn't to you. This is a goal of mine, but I hope to be able to marry it to something filming related, so that I can at least make enough to cover my travel expenses. I really think you would be a great host for "Globe Trekker!" Didn't we talk about this? Check it out! Will be waiting to hear about your adventures. You are a lot like my sister. She has the traveling jones big time. I think it's runs deep in the Davis blood. Godspeed to you, and I hope you have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will! A lot of my family members do not agree, but oh well! I definitely want to film something while traveling. We did talk about Globe Trekker, and I would love a job like that! Maybe this will lead to something like that!

      Delete
  3. OMG! You're soo lucky.. I'm Jealous!
    (sorry had to haha)
    Best a luck to you 'tash.. I'll to be sure to check in from time to time. Only advice I have is that make sure to pack plenty of green apples and peanut butter... have fun!

    -Ant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony! Haha you know I need my peanut butter and I don't think European PB will taste the same!

      Delete